Any entrepreneur who wants to start a business in the food sector, be it food processing or food manufacturing, packaging or distributing, has to register for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India FSSAI.
FSSAI monitors these businesses under the guidelines and regulations listed in FSSAI Act 2006.
With expert assistance from StartupGenie, get an FSSAI license in the quickest possible way in only 4 simple steps –
- Guidance on selecting the food license types
- Verification of your FSSAI registration documents
- Filing your online FSSAI application
- Procurement of FSSAI food licence
Why online FSSAI license is required? Benefits
- Access of studies based on evidence is given that improve your work policies or help create them.
- New knowledge is generated that can bring progress to your safety standards and aid you in reaching the benchmark of international organizations.
A food license builds an immense feeling of trust in your patrons. It paves the path to a long and loyal relationship with the buyer as they believe you offer unsurpassed quality food.
FSSAI online registration in India – A detailed process
STEP 1 – Consulting, Documentation & Filing
- You fill in our online application. Our experts are at your call to help with any query.
- Our experts do a consultation on the type of license needed
- We then collect the documents through email.
- We double check the paperwork.
- Form A and Form B are generated for the actual license process.
- We file it with the concerned authorities.
STEP 2 – Follow up and waiting for Approval
- After the CS or CA has filed the application, we resolve any questions that the authorities may ask.
- We facilitate the follow-up required by the food department.
- Then there will be a 20-day wait period during which the government considers your application.
STEP 3 – Delivery Of License
- Once approved, a digital and paper copy of the license is sent to you on the given address.
- The procurement of the license takes a maximum of 30 days.
The waiting period mentioned here is for basic license. For the other two licenses, the government approval can take a maximum of 50 days.
Documents required for FSSAI Registration Process
Be it a food safety management registration or production license, there are some documents that should be submitted along with the FSSAI online application. Listed below are the mandatory paperwork for each type of FSSAI registration:
- FSSAI Registration
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- A passport sized photograph
- State & Central License
- Proof of address
- Import/export code
- A passport sized photograph
- A list of directors or partners
- A certificate of incorporation
- The MoA and AoA of the business
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- No Objection Certificate from the local municipality
- For manufacturing units, besides the above-listed documents, the following are also required:
- The blueprint of warehouse, plant, etc.
- A list of all machinery
- Report of a water test
- List of all food categories
Who requires a Food License?
Every Food Business Operator is required to be licensed/registered under the FSSAI. FSSAI Registration is required by small businesses like hawkers, petty retailers, etc whose annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs per year. All food businesses exceeding this annual turnover limit of Rs 12 lakhs per year require a FSSAI License.
Whether you are a small scale or large scale business, you need to obtain FSSAI State License or FSSAI Central License, according to your requirement. Usually, large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc obtain Central Licence while mid-sized entities like transporters, traders, etc need State Licence.
If your business falls in any one of the below-listed categories, then a food license is mandatory for you.
To be more elaborate, any individual or a company that operates with food substances from farm to plate must obtain the FSSAI food license. A more detailed list of those who require FSSAI registration Certificate is here:
- Food chains
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Raw material suppliers to food businesses
- Retailers & establishments who have a retail outlet
- Simple transporters who transfer items from one location to another
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals or government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers who produce items such as biscuits and ready to eat products
Storage units and warehouses require a food safety registration instead of a production license.
FSSAI license types in India
According to the FSSAI Act, 2006 all food businesses are required to be registered/licenced:
- FSSAI registration: This is the primary kind of food license and it is issued for:
- Businesses that are small in turnover – 12 Lakh INR approximately
- FBO that is at the budding stage like a dairy with a capacity of less than 500 ltr/day.
- Trades like tea shops, canteens, food processors and small warehouses ideally require this licence. It can be upgraded when the business begins to expand in capacity and profit.
- The State Licence: Companies that have a profit greater than 12 lakhs and less than 20 Crores INR require the state license.Some examples are:
- Dairies with a capacity of over 50,000 litres/day
- Hotels with a 3-star rating and above
An exception here is the catering business. Irrespective of their turnover, they have to apply for a state license and not a basic FSSAI license.
The Central License: The above to licences were for small and mid-sized trades. The central registration is for bigger businesses. It is issued to:
- Companies that supply food to government offices and departments.
- Trades that have a turnover of over Rs. 20 Crores.
- Food import and export commerce
Significance of FSSAI license number format
A 14-digit food license will contain a State Code and registration.
Every food package must have a label. This label should mandatorily contain:
- The logo of FSSAI
- License number
How can we help in FSSAI Registration and Food License? Why StartupGenie?
StartupGenie provides an end-to-end service for food licensing and FSSAI registration. Our promise to every food product business is:
- FSSAI Registration at the least time frame
- Comprehensive help with FSSAI online application filling
- Guidance on selecting the right food license type
- Hand-holding through the entire registration procedure
- Solution to all your questions and concerns
At StartupGenie, our guiding principle is to guarantee that your food business begins as soon as possible and as seamlessly as practical.
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations
Non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations can prove to be costly. Production and distribution of food products without the FSSAI registration or license will incur a severe penalty and may cause risk to your brand reputation.
Food inspections will be conducted by Food Safety Officers and compliance levels will be granted for the food business. Compliance will be graded as below –
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
In accordance with the above markings, the Food Safety Officer might issue an improvement notice. The officer might also cancel the license if the standards are not maintained even after warnings.
In addition to this, if the FBO is not satisfied with the Food Safety Officer’s improvement notice, they can appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety. Their decisions can also put to a challenge via an appeal towards Food Safety Appellate Tribunal / High Court.
Benefits of Acquiring FSSAI License:
FSSAI license and registration help businesses in the following ways:
- Many thanks to the digital world, since consumers are becoming more conscious of the nature of the food they eat. Holding a valid FSSAI license allows businesses to improve and enhance their credibility.
- The FSSAI logo is widely recognized and hence it can ensure goodwill among consumers.
- Streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products.
- Makes food manufacturing more dependable on science-based principles.
- The important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed when FSSAI registration is involved.
- FSSAI license or registration provides a platform to produce quality food products that are on par with international food standards.
- FSSAI license positively influences the dependability and production of the company, thus giving it a huge chance to expand and grow.
- FSSAI license is important for exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI is also responsible for setting guidelines and procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO17025.
FSSAI license validity:
FSSAI license rules are hard and fast. FSSAI licenses issued to food businesses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. It is mandatory to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing license. Non-renewal of licenses can fetch a fine of Rs.100 per day until the renewal is done . Any lapse in renewal within the stipulated date can result in the old license becoming defunct and businesses will have to apply for a fresh license.
Guidelines to be followed for FSSAI License Number:
Similar to the guidelines for FSSAI license, there are certain rules for FSSAI license numbers.
- The FSSAI logo and license number must be displayed clearly on the label of the food package in a color that is in contrast to the background.
- If multiple units are involved in the production process, the brand owner’s FSSAI logo and license should be printed on the package with the address of the other units displayed on the label with FSSAI license number.
- There is no exemption for imported food products from following the FSSAI guidelines. It is mandatory for the importer’s FSSAI license number, name, address and FSSAI logo to be pre-printed on a label or sticker and affixed to the imported food product before it can be given customs clearance.
- It is compulsory that the guidelines given for the height of the letters and numerals of the license number shall remain as prescribed in 2.3.3 of Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation ,2011. Similarly, the Regulation 2.6.1 of the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling),2011, must be applicable to display FSSAI license number and logo.
- The FSSAI logo should not be taken as a certification of any kind. It solely denotes that the FBOs’ license is valid under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
FSSAI Rules and Regulations for the Food Industry and Food Businesses:
- The FSSAI registration and license must be on prominent display on the premises of the business affixed with passport size photo of the person under whose name the license is obtained.
- It is the responsibility of the food business operator to inform the FSSAI authorities of any change or modification he/she plans to make in the food business.
- It is mandatory that atleast one person with technical skills is employed by the FBO to supervise the production.
- Annual returns for a period extending from 1st April to 31st March of the consecutive year must be promptly filed before the 31st of May of that year.
- FSSAI licensees must strictly adhere to the conditions given for food preparation, processing and storage.
Guidelines to modify FSSAI License and FSSAI Registration:
- All necessary documents must be duly submitted while applying for a modification approval.
- Form C is an important document that must be filled with the necessary criteria to seek approval for changes or modifications in the business. Form C can be used to add a new business to the already existing one, change details like addresses, contact numbers, product names,etc.
- Designated officers in the FSSAI department can help with the filing process along with some support from professional liaisons.
- The NON-FORM C MODIFICATION is to support all other information and documents.
- The FBO must also submit necessary evidence and proof of change along with all the applications. All submitted documents and forms will be subjected to scrutiny by the Designated Officers or DO. Any query or objection raised by the DO , must be answered by the FBO within 30 days along with additional information and documents if necessary.
FAQs on FSSAI Registration – Get your food licence online easily
Renewing FSSAI registration
Renew your FSSAI license 30 days before your current license expired. To do this, you will have to give StartupGenie your present license number. Once we receive the license number, we will submit Form A and Form B i n order to renew your FSSAI registration. This process should take between 30 and 40 days. The renewal fee is the same as the cost of a new license as per the government.
For multiple manufacturing units in different states, I require a common license for the company, or separate licenses for each unit?
The registered office of your company will need a central license. Your manufacturing units will also need individual state licenses for each state they’re in.
Do I need an FSSAI license for the import of foodstuff to sell in India?
Yes, you do. You need a central license registered from the address in Import Export Code.
Is it mandatory for 100% export units to get FSSAI licensing?
Yes, whether it is import or export of food items, FSSAI licensing is necessary.
Is a license from FSSAI mandatory for the manufacture of food additives alone?
Yes, whether you manufacture, distribute, transport or trade food additives, you will need an FSSAI license in order to do it.
Is the FSSAI license needed for a catering business authorised by the Central Government?
It is mandatory for all catering establishments, even the railways, defense and airport require this license.
What is the requirement when there is more than one warehouse, within the same locality but separate entities?
Perhaps you have a few separate warehouses within one city, then you will need separate licenses for each. If all your warehouses are confined to one campus, however, you can apply for a single license citing the campus’s address.
How do I renew my FSSAI license?
At StartupGenie, we provide FSSAI license registration and renewal services. Refer to the following link.
What is the procedure to get a restaurant license?
At StartupGenie, we streamline this process so that you can do it easily and fast. Just fill in a form online and send the required documents and we will get your FSSAI restaurant license for you. We’ll intimate you within 20 to 40 working days about the status of your license and you can sit back and focus on your business.
Under which FSSAI license category you should apply for your food business?
Find out under which FSSAI license category you should apply for your food business here.